Thursday, March 8, 2007

Your Breath

Commentary on meditation.
As I mentioned in the last blog, I was a complete skeptic on the idea of sitting still. What for and why when there's cleaning, shopping, TV, reading, cooking, exercise, hanging with friends, a job, my man and homework to do. My to-do list of life keep me nice and busy away from my spirit. I simply believed that if I sat still for a moment that I would be wasting precious time on something that I believed could not provide tangible results.

I always like to say that I believed in God, but at the time I couldn't see how narrowing my life perspective was. I had very limiting ideas on the power of the divine. Like many people I believed that God simply worked out for lucky individuals and then there were people like me whose number he missed. At the heart of my core belief and my self-proclamied "busyness" was that I was unblessed and unchosen. And complaining about my life was just easier. If I surrendered control of my very essence; my breath, then I could no longer participate in my own victimization. And that was downright scary. So even as I read self-help books and became inspired to change, I couldn't bring myself to meditate. The idea of it just felt downright silly.

I wanted to be released from the mental and emotional prison I had created for myself. So when no one was looking I decided to take a chance and try something new. And at first, I was right, it felt silly as all get out. But I figured if so many spiritual guru's from all walks of life say that meditation works then I would just have to be patient. It would be one of the first times I've ever surrendered my ego.

I now preach the gospel of quiet time. Meditation is all about clearing out the mental chatter, and making the connection to the true you. It's about eradicating negative thought patterns and replacing them with love. It's the self-actualization that you are not your pain, your past, or the wrong doings that have been done to you. Meditation also keeps you present so that you can think less about your past and more about the glorious gift that is called your life. Yes! Getting still can do all of this for you and more.

There are many ways in which you can get still, but start small and start with whatever feels right. You can take a class, read a book, or buy a meditation CD. My only suggestion is that you make a decision from this day forward to incorporate some form of meditation into your life daily. I guarantee that you will love your life more.

M.

No comments: